This recipe usually makes chicken strudel parcels but I have given directions to make smaller party size treats. Chicken strudel is a favourite in our family and I often triple the recipe and freeze the extra parcels for a quick and easy tea – perfect for when you have no energy to cook! When I freeze the parcels I have found that they need to be separated by baking/freezer paper in an air tight container so they don’t stick together.
2 chicken fillets cut into small cubes)
1 small onion, chopped
2 spring onions, chopped, 4 rashers of bacon, diced
2-3 tablespoon of butter
6 button mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons plain flour
¼ cup milk powder
chicken stock powder (if needed)
¼ cup cream
1 packet of fresh filo pastry (from the fridge section not frozen section at the supermarket)
1. Place onion, bacon and chicken in a saucepan of water (water should just barely cover the chicken). Simmer for 10 minutes
2. Drain and reserve stock to mix with milk powder. Set chicken, bacon and onion aside.
3. Using the same saucepan melt butter, add mushrooms and sauté. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
4. Gradually stir in combined stock and milk powder mix. Bring to the boil and reduce liquid. Taste mix and add chicken stock powder ½ teaspoon at a time as desired (it is best to add small amounts rather than add too much at once).
5. Remove from heat and prepare filo sheets by laying 4 sheets on top of each other spraying with oil between each sheet (if making parcels use 6- 8 sheets to avoid the pastry splitting and filling leaking). Cut your sheets into 8 even pieces.
6. Add sour cream to chicken mix (do not boil mix after adding sour cream as it will curdle). If possible allow mix to cool as it will be easier to work with.
7. Spray cupcake or small muffin tins with oil, place one of your filo sheets into 1 cupcake mould. Spoon mix into the centre of filo sheet (approximately ½ fill) – you filo sheet should sink into the tin. Cover the top of the mix with the sides of the filo sheet and continue with remaining mix and filo. Spray tops of pastry with oil.
8. Bake in moderate oven (180 oC) for approximately 20 mins or until pastry is golden brown.