Monday, October 22, 2012

A Peek into my Sketchbook


My sketchbooks are filled with rough sketches of elements and designs that may or may not eventually become patterns.  Often I sketch out a design and later add or borrow elements from another design in my books until I come up with something I am completely happy with.  This was the case for my latest cot quilt design.  As you can see from my original sketch I am not fussy with how I write, what I write with or how neat the design is - it is more about getting the idea down.  Later I either add to it or draw it up on graph paper to scale to work out the proportions and fine tune everything to get the final design.
 
 
This design has been made up in the adorable 'Pieces of Hope' fabric line by Riley Blake.  It was designed to raise awareness for Autism and a significant portion of the sales of this fabric line is donated to Autism Speaks.  If you are lucky enough to stop by the Riley Blake booth at Houston Quilt Market you will be able to see the final design 'Carnival' made up in the flesh. 
 
 
As for the pattern - it will be out shortly.  I have a few small changes to be made after getting it back from my pattern testers and then it is good to go to the printer, just in time for Melbourne Quilt Market.
 
 

No comments:

Pinterest link