Want to make one yourself? Easy, you will need:
- 1 foam cone in desired size (mine is 14" tall)
- 1 star Christmas tree decoration.
- Small metal head pins (so you can remove the fabric later if desired) OR a hot glue gun and glue sticks (for a more permanent ornament)*
- Assorted fabric scraps 1/2" wide x 15" long (length will vary according to sized cone used)
- Assorted beads (optional)
- Starting at the bottom of the cone take one strip and loop it around the cone, trimming the length as required (both ends should overlap slightly).
- Secure both ends of fabric with a pin or a small blob of hot glue placed onto fabric * (this will become the back of the tree).
- Take another strip and slightly over lap the top of the first strip, trimming as required and securing ends at the back of the cone.
- Continue in this fashion until you have completely covered the cone (the top strip may require more pins to secure.
- Fix the star at the top of the cone using more pins or the hot glue gun as required.
* Please follow manufacturers instructions when using the hot glue gun and avoid having the glue come into direct contact with the foam as it will melt and distort the foam.
If you want to jazz your tree up why not add Christmas tree decorations by using beads as baubles and pinning or gluing them into position as desired on the fabric strips (not pictured).
There you have it - a simple, cheap (if made from fabric scraps) and easy Christmas decoration.